Sacred Heart University
Fairfield, CT, United States
Manager, Marketing, Journalism, Media, Pr, Education
Aug 02, 2022
Nov 15, 2022
Senior Associate Athletic Director for Communications
Marketing & Communications [MCM]
Aug 2, 2022
Aug 4, 2022 - 11:59 PM EDT
About Sacred Heart University:
As the second-largest independent Catholic university in New England, and one of the fastest-growing in the U.S., Sacred Heart University is a national leader in shaping higher education for the 21st century. SHU offers nearly 90 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs on its Fairfield, Conn., campus. Sacred Heart also has satellites in Connecticut, Luxembourg and Ireland and offers online programs. More than 9,000 students attend the University's nine colleges and schools: Arts & Sciences; Communication, Media & the Arts; Social Work; Computer Science & Engineering; Health Professions; the Isabelle Farrington College of Education and Human Development; the Jack Welch College of Business & Technology; the Dr. Susan L. Davis, R.N., & Richard J. Henley College of Nursing; and St. Vincent's College. Sacred Heart stands out from other Catholic institutions as it was established and led by laity. The contemporary Catholic university is rooted in the rich Catholic intellectual tradition and the liberal arts, and at the same time cultivates students to be forward thinkers who enact change-in their own lives, professions and in their communities. The Princeton Review includes SHU in its Best 387 Colleges-2022 Edition, Best Northeastern and Best Business Schools-2021 Edition. Sacred Heart is home to the award-winning, NPR-affiliated radio station, WSHU, a Division I athletics program and an impressive performing arts program that includes choir, band, dance and theatre.
Faculty Experts Here
Oversee all strategic communications, marketing and promotional efforts for Sacred Heart University's intercollegiate athletic and spirit teams. Execute targeted marketing and communications plans for overall departmental reputation, sports coverage, and best position the Pioneers externally. Supervise Athletics Communications department.
Management, Administration and Budgeting
- Provide strategic oversight of the communications department supporting SHU Athletics. Support SHU's strategic goals through communications and marketing efforts that best position SHU Athletics. Serve as the supervisor of each area that includes, video teams, social media teams and sport information teams, providing direction and oversight to meet University goals. Manage the athletic communications and marketing budget to support overall department needs, staffing and game coverage. Maintain detailed knowledge of NCAA and all conference rules and regulations. Coordinate responsibilities with Director of Athletic Marketing & Communications.
- Serve as primary media contact for SHU Athletics. Cultivate and foster relationships with reporters from local and national publications to maximize coverage of SHU's teams, players, accomplishments and stories. Work with Communications team to disseminate press releases when necessary. Including but not limited to milestones, hall of fame, coaching changes, hometown releases. Coordinate interviews with players and coaches for outside publications and SHU-produced content. Oversee and coordinate media passes and seating for athletic events.
- Work collaboratively with athletic operations to supervise the team who will provide game management support from marketing and communication perspective. Oversee broadcast and media coverage in coordination with athletic operations and the broadcast team.
Website & Social Media
- Oversight of shubigred.com, social media handles and SHU Athletics YouTube channel. Ensure content is accurate, updated, relevant and best represents SHU's teams. Oversee content strategy for athletics in coordination with marketing, web content management team, sport administrator and coaches. Meet regularly to help build department-wide social plan. Post scores, game coverage and stories to shubigred.com and social media sites as they happen. Develop sport-specific sites to assist in recruitment efforts as needed. Work with coaches and strategic enrollment management on content.
- Oversee development and production of publications, media guides, visiting team guides for all SHU athletic teams. Coordinate and publish schedules and collateral to promote games, events and advancement opportunities. Work with marketing team to execute SHU sports e-newsletter and updates. Develop fact sheets and collateral to support recruitment efforts. Work with coaches and strategic enrollment management on content.
Advertising, Promotions Communications & Sponsorships
- Manage promotional efforts of athletic events on campus and in the community. Utilize website, social media, newsletter and paid advertising options as necessary. Coordinate promotional materials for games and events. Work with marketing team to build sponsorship and ad strategy using in-game, multimedia and website opportunities.
Broadcast, Media Production and Graphics
- Supervise media production and content strategy team that will produce in game media, post-game highlights, promotional video and live-broadcasted events and graphics. Utilize University streaming platforms, conference streaming platforms and SHU Athletics YouTube Channels as needed. Work with School of Communications, Media & the Arts to coordinate broadcasts. Manage relationships with networks, stations and outlets for broadcast.
Statement of Personal & Organizational Responsibility for Diversity and Inclusion
Actively promote a collegial environment and consciously apply our mission and values to create a culture of inclusion and belonging; a safe space where all may thrive and succeed. Participate in developmental activities to increase understanding and awareness of issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion; apply that understanding to guide your approach to all aspects of your job and the community as a whole. Demonstrate that we are Stronger Together as described in the Office for Diversity & Inclusion's Mission and Vision statements
Knowledge and Skills Needed:
10-15 years of marketing & communication experience. Previous experience in athletics and collegiate athletics a plus.
Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations as it relates to communications. If not from previous experience, a willingness to learn inside and out.
Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Project and Staff Management. Highly organized and detail-oriented, must be resourceful and accountable to schedules and budgets. Must be able to manage multiple communications efforts and staff to achieve department and University goals. Ability to collaboratively lead team to meet strategic goals.
Working knowledge of social media platforms, social media management tools and web management tools. Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.
Understanding of news, media relations and communications
Knowledge of multimedia production efforts. This position oversees areas in broadcast in production.
Understanding of divisional and University policies and procedures.
Willingness to work nights and weekends to support athletics schedules. Travel when necessary.
Evening and weekend hours are required. Travel when necessary.
Please apply online, faxes and emails will not be accepted. A cover letter is appreciated.
Sacred Heart University is a space that respects and embraces differences, recognizes the unique contributions that individuals can make, and creates a community that maximizes the potential of all faculty and staff. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the wider world in which we live.
Sacred Heart University
Website : http://www.sacredheart.edu