You can find many available careers in marketing if you only know where to look. It is an exciting and satisfying profession because unlike other jobs, it deals with your creativity and how you understand and deal with people. Even an entry-level job in marketing can be more enjoyable than working in other companies.
1. The first step in finding the right career in marketing is to formulate your goals and objectives. Even if you are just applying for an entry-level job in marketing, it is important to know your goals and reasons for applying. This will be your guide on your career path.
2. The second most important step in finding jobs in marketing is to decide what field of marketing you would like to venture into. Marketing has a lot of branches and it would really help if you are aware of all of them and if you have already decided on what field you would like to go into. Different marketing fields require different kinds of knowledge and skills and it would be better for you to specialize in something and be good at it.
3. A good school means good background. Admit it or not, companies look at the schools on every candidate's resume. If you have a good school background, it will reflect on you. Companies do look first for your university school before looking at your skills and achievements, so if you have the resources then you should invest in a good school.
4. Good education is the key. Admit it or not, companies do prefer candidates with a good and high education background rather than someone with just talent because that will be a great risk for them. Even for entry level jobs in marketing, companies do look for candidates with a college degree, preferably related to marketing management or maybe a business management degree major in marketing. Different marketing fields require different degrees, but remember that learning does not stop when you graduate. Make sure that you also learn other applicable skills and knowledge from your colleagues and also from your work itself that will help you advance in your profession.
5. Education is not enough; internships and trainings will also do you good. Knowledge is useless if you do not apply it and where is the most appropriate place for you to do that? It is none other than in internships. Participating also in trainings, seminars and workshops sponsored by the company will also be helpful to you, May it be in finding other careers in marketing or maybe aiming for a promotion, these will definitely help you in expanding your knowledge, honing your skills and may also be another opportunity for a higher position.
6. Develop skills and be updated with the latest fads and trend. This is where the workshops and seminars are useful, it is for you to develop your skills further and to be updated with the trends concerning fashion, style and other fads. You need to know these things because the people are your customers so you should know what they prefer and like. There are many innovations and developments that are introduced every year so you must be aware of them so you will not be lost in your job. You need to keep pace with the latest craze. Jobs in marketing are very unstable since people's likes also change so if you do not keep up them, you can lose your job with a blink of an eye.
7. Develop the right personal attributes needed. During interviews, even for jobs in entry-level marketing, companies are already assessing and evaluating hopeful candidates if they have already have what it takes to continue their careers in marketing. The ability to work well with people and also a good creativity and marketing skill as well as the ability to submit projects on time with good results are just some of the qualities that a candidate should possess if he/she wants a job in marketing.
8. Submit a good resume complete with a portfolio. A customized marketing portfolio that includes letter of recommendations, work samples, marketing plans and other certificates from trainings and workshops are more preferred by employers since it will be proof of how good you are.
9. Work well with your colleagues. Having a harmonious relationship with your colleagues is also a good step if you want to have a good working environment. With this, you can all help each other for the betterment of the whole group/team.
10. Improve your marketing skills. Even with an entry-level marketing job, it is important to improve yourself as well as your skills. Improvement in you will serve as your stepping stone for a higher position.
Thousands of people had already found their dream job. Do you also want it? Visit us at MarketingCrossing.com and find thousands of other job listings all about marketing. Sign up now for a risk-free trial!